2/10/2012

Harvard to Knicks - Who is Jeremy Lin? 誰是林書豪

Like I mentioned before, I was born and raised in Taiwan, moved to the States in 1999. Even though it has been over 10 years, I'm still pretty much a FOB. And I'm the same as the majority of Asian girls in my generation who live in Asia forever - we don't really care for sports. Not basketball, not baseball, not soccer, not sporty anything. (I know, there are some of you out there who can prove me wrong, like my dear friend Maria, but I said "majority" of my generation, ok? )

I don't know why. Maybe it's because I never had the genes to run fast, jump high, or handle any kind of ball in the right way. My friends were shocked when they knew P.E. is one of the subject I had to teach as an elementary school teacher. I don't blame them. My mom signed me up for swimming lessons in middle school but until this day I'm still afraid of water. Out of 56 girls in my high school class, I came in last running 100 meters. My eyes and arms don't coordinate well to hit the tennis ball with the racket. I tripped on tiny rocks when I walk in the park with my 21 month old daughter. Anyways, you get the picture. You will not find me as the tanned bikini Asian chick playing beach volley anywhere.

But ever since this Monday, I started paying attention to the NBA games, all because of Jeremy Lin. I had no idea who he was. I guess no one did. He came out of nowhere and became the point guard, the center of attention of New York Knicks.

He is not like Yao Ming, the 7ft. 6 in. giant who was a professional basketball player from China . Jeremy Lin was born in the States and grew up in Palo Alto, California. His parents immigrated from Taiwan in the 70's. His father taught his brothers and him how to play basketball at the Y. After receiving no athletic scholarships, Jeremy went to Harvard and graduated with a 3.3 GPA, major in economics and minor in sociology. Sounds like a typically Chinese American kid, doesn't it? But the brainy young man surprised the world with 28 points as Knicks beat Utah Jazz on Feb. 6.


People in Taiwan have already called him the "Taiwanese Pride". What does Jeremy Lin represent to the Chinese Americans, or the Asian Americans in the States? Is he slashing the stereotype that nerdy Asians only belong to the golf courses?

All I know is, Jeremy Lin has got my big guy fired up, waiting to watch the Lakers V.S. Knicks game tonight. A Chinese American boy growing up in Cali can actually play (and play well so far) in the NBA! After a whole week of "Jeremy Lin 101" with me, my 5ft. 8in. big guy is suddently 23 years old again, and definitely not that much shorter than Jeremy's 6ft. 3 in.......

Oh, the American dream! Look at Jeremy Lin! I wonder how many people have done the right things to nurture such an outstanding young man. As a Chinese American teacher and mommy, what role can I play in my young children's life?

No comments:

Post a Comment